Christ's Promised Return
Jesus lived on this earth 2000 years ago. And when His mission on
earth was finished, the Bible tells us that He ascended to heaven to
represent humanity before His Father. Since that time He has been
presenting His own merits before God on our behalf and working by
His Spirit in our lives that we might experience the fullness
While Jesus was on earth, He made a promise and repeated it many times.
That promise was that He would one day come to earth again to receive
to Himself all who have placed their entire trust in Him.
Here, in His own words, is His promise to us:
- Matthew 16:27
- For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
- Matthew 24:27
- For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
- Matthew 24:30, 31
- And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
- Matthew 24:37-39
- But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
- Matthew 24:42
- Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
- Matthew 24:44
- Therefore be ye also ready: for in such and hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
- Matthew 25:13
- Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
- Matthew 25:31
- When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory.
- Matthew 26:64
- Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
- Mark 13:32, 33
- But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
- Luke 9:26
- For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
- Luke 12:40
- Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
- Luke 18:8
- Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
- Luke 21:33-36
- Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
- John 14:1-3
- Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
- John 14:28
- I go away, and come again unto you.
- Revelation 3:11
- Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou has, that no man take thy crown.
- Revelation 22:12
- And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
- Revelation 22:20
- Surely I come quickly.
For additional study on this topic see:
- Job 19:25, 26
- Psalm 50:3-6
- Acts 1:11
- 1 Corinthians 1:7, 8; 4:5; 11:26; 15:23
- Philippians 3:20, 21
- Colossians 3:4
- 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 2:19; 3:13
- 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17; 5:2-4; 23
- 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10; 2:1-8;
- 1 Timothy 6:14
- 2 Timothy 4:1, 8
- Titus 2:13
- Hebrews 9:28
- James 5:7, 8
- 1 Peter 1:7, 13; 4:13; 5:4
- 2 Peter 1:16; 3:3, 4, 10-13
- 1 John 2:28; 3:2, 3
- Jude 14, 15
- Revelation 1:7